Sea Salt & Banana Crème Brulée
Delight your senses with this tantalizing Crème Brulée dish, an aromatic final course masterpiece that intricately weaves together a tapestry of distinctive flavors, perfectly pairing the sweetness with our 2014 Silver Ranch Vineyard Riesling Icewine.
Yield: 4 portions
FOR THE CUSTARD
- 250ml whipping cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 60ml granulated sugar
- 5ml sea salt
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 1 pc over ripe banana, mashed
FOR THE BRULÉE
- As needed, granulated sugar for brulée
- Add any toppings that you desire
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Combine the cream and the banana with the vanilla pod and steep over medium low heat.
- Whisk the scraped vanilla, sugar, salt, and egg yolks in a large mixing bowl. And whisk thoroughly to ensure the egg has been broken down.
- Once mixed, you can turn the heat up on the cream until it comes to a simmer then remove it from the heat.
- Using a ladle, begin to add small amounts of the cream to egg mixture, whisking constantly. Adding the hot cream too quickly can over-cook and “scramble” the egg.
- Once it is all combined, remove the vanilla pod and divide the mixture evenly among 4 shallow oven proof ramekins.
- Now arrange the ramekins in a large baking dish and pour in hot water so that there is at least 1 cm of water covering the bottom of the baking dish.
- Bake in a preheated 325F oven for 30-40 minutes, or until the centers of the custards have just thickened.
- Cool to room temperature then transfer to the fridge to cool completely (at least 4 hours and up to 3 days).
- To serve, sprinkle with granulated sugar so that there is a thin layer evenly coating the surface of the custard and then using a hand held torch or under the broiler, heat until sugar turns a deep golden brown.
- Allow the custard to sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.